Ecommerce has become a very lucrative industry in the recent decade. But in the initial days, starting an online store was very expensive, which discouraged small business from taking their business online. Fortunately, now many free eCommerce website builders that offer free or low-cost options.
Thus we have curated a list of the top 8 best free website builder for eCommerce. This article will take a deep dive into the feature and limitations, the price for each platform’s paid plans so that you make an informed decision.
However remember that since these are free website builder platforms, you will face some restrictions. You will have to purchase the paid versions of these tools to get access to all the features. So without further ado, let’s get started.
We will focus on the following categories:
- Best Free Ecommerce Website Builders
The best free e-commerce sites that allow you to sell without any recurring charges, but will have some limitations. This is recommended for people who have a budget or what to start a side hustle.
- Best Ecommerce Website Builders With Free Trial
With a free trial, you will get to use most of the platform’s free features for a particular period. You will eventually have to purchase the plan if you think that it meets all your requirements. These platforms are perfect for testing before you plan on purchase it.
- Best Ecommerce Website Builder Plugins
Powerful open-source plugins that are free to install but will carry some ongoing costs. This is perfect for people who already have a word press website and want to convert it into an e-commerce store.
Best Free Ecommerce Website Builders
Square Online is a fantastic platform that allows you to set up an online shop easily.- This platform uses an ADI (Artificial Design Intelligence) to create a website for you, based on your answers to a few basic questions that it asks you.
There are no additional processing costs other than the credit card charge (which is normal, on paying plans you will still have to pay credit card fees).
Square Online might be a fantastic choice, particularly if you are a small business who just won’t try out eCommerce for their business. In the free plan, you will have to pay a commission of 2.9 per transaction.
- Simple-to-use e-commerce platform
- Easy to understand pricing policy
- Excellent customer support and service
- No coding knowledge is required
- For extra features, you’ll have to buy one of their paid-for plans.
- The free plan has a few payment processing options
- Not recommended for large e-commerce merchants.
Square Online Pricing
The paid plan of this eCommerce website builder stats at $12.00 per month, per user.
Weebly is one of our best eCommerce website builder for small business as it provides the option to sell on its free plan. It is one of the simplest to use eCommerce platforms use and has a wide range of features like tracking inventory, creating coupons, and making products stand out with badges.
However, the free plan lacks a tone of useful features. The downside of Weebly? Well, there are a few. Firstly, it lacks some of the features like you can create a custom domain for your website. Weebly will display its ads on your website. We would recommend that you try this platform initially, but after your business starts picking up you can shift to ab better platform or pay for the premium ve4rsion
- Outstanding value for money
- SSL included
- Super simple design-assisted configuration
- Supports hundreds of fields of industry
- Only available in English cant change the language sites
- Offline payment methods such as cash on delivery
- You are limited to 3 products on the free plan
The paid plan of this eCommerce website builder for small business
stats at $5.00 per month, per user.
3) Big Cartel
Big Cartel is a user-friendly website builder for eCommerce mostly used by artists and creative people. It might be a perfect choice for you if you want to have a shop selling homemade goods. This platform allows you to sell up to 5 products on your free plan.
- Easy to interface
- Doesn’t have to pay any transaction fees
- Perfect for artistic products
- 5 product limit on the free plan
- Features and designs lack depth and quality
- Cant create a custom domain
Big Cartel Pricing
Big Cartel was the most competitive and userfriendly e-commerce website builders. Payment plan starts at just $9.99/month.
Best Ecommerce Website Builders With Free Trial
Shopify is top eCommerce building platforms out there because it offers a tone of sales features and you can sell across loads of various online channels at the same time. Plus it has a large app store which makes thing much more manageable.
Shopify offers a 14-day free trial period. You have access to Shopify’s most of the feature, at no cost at all. One you feel that this platform is for you, you can buy the premium version.
- All in one eCommerce builder.
- Sell across multiple channels.
- Wide range of apps
- Easy to use
- Shopify charges a 2% transaction fee on other payment gateways.
- Difficulty in customization
- The URL structure is not optimal for SEO
Shopify is an all in one website builder. Payment plan starts at just $29/month.
BigCommerce is a completely hosted eCommerce website (or all-in-one) that you can use to develop your eCommerce shop. It allows you to design beautiful websites have responsive designs, without knowing much about web design and coding. It offers 30 day trial period which is twice as much as what Shopify gives you.
- Great in-built, user-centric (free) features, which stops the price quickly escalating
- Allows multi-channel integration
- A powerful platform for SEO
- Set up can be difficult
- Uses complex terminology and interface
The payment plan starts at just $29/month.
Wix is one of the most user-friendly eCommerce website builders out there With this platform; you can drag and drop elements to create your website in no time. It is one of the most customizable builders out there and the best part you don the need to without coding.
It’s a great option for beginners. However, the free plan lets you design your website, but you will need to pay for the premium version if you want to sell on this platform. You get a 14-day refund policy where you can test out his platform and see if it works for you.
- Access to more than 500 templets
- Free Wix domain
- Extremely flexible and customizable
- The loading speed of a website is slow
- you cannot change the template of your website
- The price is a bit expensive as compared to the other website builders.
Best Ecommerce Website building software
Woo-commerce is the world’s most popular WordPress e-commerce plugin as it is free, flexible and easy to integrate with an existing WordPress site. It is an open-source platform where you can retain full ownership of your store’s content and data forever.
You can create beautiful websites using this best friendly website builder plugin for eCommerce. It allows you to customize a shop page, a landing page for a collection of products, or just insert some product blocks in your posts and pages.
- A large collection of themes, Extensions and Themes.
- You can add affiliate or external products to your site.
- Easy to manage your inventory using Woo-commerce.
- Allows you to add many other payment options using extensions
- Many add-ons are available. Sometimes, a user may not find the right add-on for the features they need.
- Not always as easy to set up or may not look good with all themes.
- Scalability issue, as the store gets larger, you will need to move to a managed hosting provider.
Magento eCommerce plugin is customizable, SEO friendly, and can be broadly themed. Based on open source technology, it is the best eCommerce website builder plugin for small business as well as for large multinational corporations with many dedicated e-commerce features.
This plugin offers a high-level of customization and functionality to set up your online stores according to your business needs. It provides rich features like multi-store management, generating reports, mobile commerce, marketing and search engine optimization.
- Magento is an enterprise-focused with incredible scalability
- A large amount of out of the box functionality.
- Good B2B eCommerce capabilities
- Strong product data capabilities for large and complex catalogues
- Higher cost of ownership.
- Weak CMS capabilities for content heavy sites.
- Larger application with higher maintenance overhead.
- Frontend theming is complicated.
Which is Best Free eCommerce Platform For You?
It entirely depends on which platform fits you the best.
If you have a WordPress website that you want to convert into an eCommerce store, WooCommerce is the best WordPress eCommerce website builder plugin. Plus it’s a cheaper opting where you have the freedom to expand.
If you’re looking for a fast and ut drag-and-drop eCommerce builder, then you should definitely go for Wix.
If your established companies with a huge catalogue of products to sell online that you would prefer BigEcommerce
If your brick-and-mortar business with a physical retail space, Square Online would be perfect for you.
If you’re looking for functionality and a reliable eCommerce website builder, then we would recommend Shopify.